Sunday, July 27, 2014

G.I .JOE: Luck Be A Lady by Carrie Vaughn


G.I .JOE: Luck Be A Lady 
by Carrie Vaughn
Amazon Kindle Worlds novella

Book description:
"In this episode, Lady Jaye and Cover Girl are in Las Vegas tracking down a secret Cobra bunker. But instead of a secret bunker, they find the Baroness and Dr. Mindbender on the verge of launching a nefarious experiment that could spell doom for the entire city. Parental advisory: this episode contains disguises, trick javelins, mad races across the desert, and explosions. Lots and lots of explosions."

I'm a fan of Carrie Vaughn's work. I found the first novel in her werewolf series, Kitty and the Midnight Hour, on the shelf at the local mallbox bookstore and have been hooked ever since.

G.I. JOE, I have to admit, I'm somewhat less familiar with. Read some of the comics back in the day, had a couple of figures (Snake Eyes and Scarlett), saw some of the cartoons and both the recent movies...that's about it. But I know Vaughn is a fan, so when the Joes were added to Amazon's "Kindle Worlds" program, I was one of the folks to casually point it out to her. Luckily, others did too, and now we have this.

It's a short, fun, action-packed story (with explosions, as noted in the description above) about two Joes in a mad scramble to save Las Vegas from the latest Cobra plot. It's full of self-aware humor but doesn't skimp on the action and, in my humble opinion, is more than worth the two buck asking price.

Pick it up, and if you like it, don't hesitate to check out her other works. I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment