Sunday, August 17, 2014

BATMAN BEGINS again


**** NOTE: This post has been pulled back out of the mists of time. Originally posted Saturday, June 18, 2005. ****

Okay...went to see "Batman Begins" today, finally. Work has been an overtime-filled bear lately, so that's what took me so long to get to it.

It was....really, really cool. It was Batman, all the way. I remember going to see the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton "Batman" at a midnight premiere when it first came out. I remember the rush when it started and Batman appeared on screen, scaring the heck out of the baddie. I remember thinking "this is *my* Batman." I also remember, thinking back on it later, that it wasn't such a hot movie. Style over substance and all that. "Batman Returns" was in many ways a better movie, and then...well, the less said about the other two, the better. (except I still think Clooney was a great choice - he just had the misfortune to be in the worst movie of the bunch)

Since then, I've decided that the best Batman movie of them all was "Batman: Mask Of the Phantasm." Yeah, the animated film.

Now, I think it might be the second best.

And now that the setup is largely out of the way, if they make another film (which seems pretty likely) it can be even better.

Random comments - Would've liked less frenzied editing in most of the fights, tho it was perfect for the first full-on Batman fight. Still think the cowl needs work. The score, I'm mixed on. In many ways it was just serviceable...no stirring themes to hum on the way out but at the same time, it served the action perfectly. Adding to, not distracting from the film. The Batmobile didn't thrill me when it was first unveiled months ago. Having seen it in action now, I gotta get me one of those. The casting and performances were nearly perfect.

Yep...this was a good movie. Go see it.

And the preview for "Sky High" looks pretty fun, too.

Original post: http://www.worldwatchonline.com/blog/2005/06/batman-begins-again.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment