Saturday, July 06, 2019

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

Spider-Man: Far From Home movie poster

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME (2019)
Directed by Jon Watts
Written by Chris McKenna
Screenplay by  Erik Sommers
Starring Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, Samuel L. Jackson, Marisa Tomei , Jacob Balaton, Jon Favreau, Zendaya, and Cobie Smulders
Rated PG-13
 
 
Fair warning...this isn't a big write-up, but it gets a little bit spoilery with both this film and AVENGERS: ENDGAME so if you've somehow managed to avoid all the noise about that film and the previews for this film well, not sure I'd continue past the cut...


Unlike the previous phases of the Marvel Cinematic Universe which ended at the Avengers movies, this phase 'officially' ends here with FAR FROM HOME. This movie addresses (at least a little bit) the return of the victims of The Snap (which conveniently includes pretty much all of Peter Parker's extended circle) and how they're trying to fit into a world that's gone on for five years without them. 
 
It also leans heavily on the loss of Tony Stark and who can step up to fill his iron shoes with a lot of folks thinking that it should be Peter Parker. I might be the only person on Earth who's reminded of lyrics from a song off of the much-maligned KISS album "(music from) The Elder" but they popped into my head, anyway -
 
"Who steers the ship through the stormy sea
If hope is lost then so are we
While some eyes search for one to guide us
Some are staring at me"
 
Like the title character in that song, Peter Parker considers himself "Just A Boy" and isn't sure he's the one to take that role, so when Quentin Beck arrives from an alternate universe to fight the elemental monsters attacking our earth, Peter is happy to let the new hero, Mysterio, assume the mantle and work with Nick Fury while Peter concentrates on his classmates and working up the nerve to tell MJ how he feels about her.
 
Of course, the Parker luck being what it is, things don't quite work out the way he hopes and he's drawn into the middle of the whole thing and has to save the day because it's a Spider-Man movie and not a Mysterio movie.
 
Overall, it's a great, fun film. A life-long Spidey-fan I really like Tom Holland's performance as Spidey/Peter and enjoy his interactions with friends Ned (Jacob Balaton) and MJ (Zendaya). Jake Gyllenhaal's Beck/Mysterio is fantastic and his relationship with Peter seems like it could perfectly fill the void Peter has felt since Tony Stark's death. 
 
There's still some things that I would like to see based on *my* vision of the character I've built up over the years. Maybe you can chalk it up to his general mood in this film - still mourning Stark and nervous about the idea of admitting to MJ that he like-likes her - but I miss the wise-cracking Spider-Man that could mouth off to pretty much everyone in a way Peter never could. I also still prefer a more 'street level' version of Spider-Man, without all the souped up Tony Stark gear. Minor quibbles, but that's really all I've got against this version of Spider-Man.
 
Also, and this is a criticism I've had against most of the recent movies I've seen lately, no one really seems to do much with the 3D anymore. I love the depth it can give, and since I'll likely never have a 3D setup at home I'll pay the extra for a theater viewing, but I do miss the days of actually feeling like I need to duck once in awhile to avoid something coming out of the screen. I don't miss being poked in the eye every few minutes like most of the 80s run of 3D films felt they had to do, but they could throw a bone (or something) every so often for effect. I can get more 3D feeling with my old red/blue glasses and YouTube videos than I can from the current run of big 3D releases.
 
INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE might still be my favorite Spider-Man movie but as far as live-action goes, FAR FROM HOME is far from the worst thing you could spend your time/money on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment